For Kier Services
Dacorum BC, Summer Court, Hemel Hempstead, Energy Efficiency Refurbishment.
The refurbishment of Summer Court included the following:
- External Wall Insulation.
- A Biomass District Heating system to provide heating and hot water.
- Windows and front doors replaced in PVCu
- Internal stairwells repaired and decorated
- Wooden fascia’s and soffits replaced with PVCu
- Communal digital aerial linked in to all properties.
- External building works including the relocation of bin stores, shed stores repaired, drying areas fenced off with secure access and additional external lighting.
The windows element required specific interface details to be agreed with the external wall insulation providers to ensure that potential cold spots were avoided and that junction details were clean and acceptable for u value performance and practical aspects, similarly close cooperation with other trades was essential to ensure that programmes agreed were realistic and achievable and that potentially unforeseen events with the weather did not detract from programme milestones required as part of the overall plan.
Local planning and building design conditions required the window frames to be manufactured from Aluminium to match local architecture and compliment the style of the buildings in the estate, which whilst not in any conservation area does border the neighbouring Tufnell Park conservation area.
The planning application to replace the existing single glazed windows with double glazing was straight to the point, stating “the proposed double glazed units will be better for residents in terms of thermal capacity and noise insulation and therefore improve their living environment”. Just as critical to the residents was the aesthetic design of the window including exceptionally small sight lines to provide as much light as possible and it was critical that the windows and doors aligned throughout all the 16 buildings creating a harmony in design.